Thursday, October 12, 2006

The Geek Shall Inherit the Earth

Childhood can be very difficult at times. It can be even worse when you are the slightly chubby, unathletic, smart kid who wears glasses. That was me. It is still me to a large degree.
 
The main difference between now and then is that I have begun to embrace my inner geek. Some people have differenent opinions on the exact definitions of nerd, geek, and dork. It really doesn't matter to me anymore.
 
I finally don't really care what people think. Well, that is not entirely true. I will always care about people's opinions of me to one degree or another. At one point in time I would have been apologetic about the fact that I got good grades in school, was a National Merit Scholar, or captain of the Scholastic Bowl team. I would have tried to keep hidden the fact that I really enjoy watching Star Trek in all its various forms. I would have tried to deflect the topic of conversation if someone asked about a book that I was reading when it happened to be by Stephen Hawking.
 
Now, I don't actually go around announcing to everyone I meet that I am like this, although writing it in a blog that the world can see might be interpreted as soing esactly that. Still, I am kind of content with myself and all my geekiness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home