Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Seize the Fish


I have never really liked the phrase carpe diem. First of all, I think that my inner rebel dislikes the fact that in 1989, everyone and their uncle jumped on the carpe diem bandwagon when Robin Williams uttered those words on the silver screen. The sheer popularity of it annoyed me.
 
It didn't help that I didn't like Dead Poet's Society. That is probably sacrilegious, but I honestly say that I can't stand the movie. For most of the film, Robin William's character is teaching his students to make the most of the day. So what happens? Some spoiled rich kid decides to off himself because daddy won't let him be in the play. Please! Have you not been listening to your teacher for the entire year?
 
Second of all, the phrase sounds like some ancient Roman guy is telling me to grab onto a fish. Unless one is a fisherman, why on Earth would you want to grab ahold of some stinky, slimy fish that is either flopping around in your hands or has been nestled in a bed of ice in the seafood department at Dominick's? Why not seize a trout or perhaps some nice wild salmon on a bed of basil risotto with a side of grilled asparagus?
 
Finally, the phrase is just a bit too aggressive for me. It is telling you to go out and seize something. To me the world seize sounds like something that you don't want to happen to you, like a search and seizure. With all the stresses of daily life, I would much rather play catch and release with my carpe and release the day. Now if I only knew how to say release the day in Latin, I might have myself a good mantra.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home