Friday, November 03, 2006

Scandal, Sympathy, and Sadness

I will admit that I have no great love loss for the far right, conservative, evangelical, Republican types. That disdain for those politics extends all the way up to King George…err, I mean President Bush. I will also admit that part of me is gloating because of the apparent comeuppance the Republican Party has gotten with respect to the recent sex scandals regarding Congressman Mark Foley and now the evangelist Ted Haggard. Locally, a Republican candidate for one of the suburban county boards was indicted for allegedly sexually abusing two girls.

At first glance it is really easy to rail on about the obvious hypocrisy involved when a group of people preach about morals and family values, denouncing those who have differing opinions, and then engage in or help obscure activities that are directly opposed to those beloved beliefs.

Although we don’t have all the facts in these situations and we do have the concept of innocent until proven guilty (a t least in a court of law) in this country, it is probably a little easier to criticize Mark Foley. I really do not care about his sexual orientation. It is irrelevant to me. I do however find it troubling that he would make advances to young men who have not yet reached the age of majority and over whom the congressman has some influence and power. Either he is a predator or just plain stupid. I am sure that the situation is very difficult and embarrassing for him, but his sexual orientation seems to have been a well known secret and truth be told he hasn’t broken any marital vows (but from what I understand he did have a partner and there is sure to be some violation of trust there) and no children who may be potentially embarrassed by the scandal.

It is impossible to feel any glee whatsoever about the local politician given the outcome of that situation. Shortly after the indictment, the candidate for county board died in a violent, single-car accident that appears to b e a possible suicide. I can not find anything to gloat about when the result is the the widowhood of a wife, the loss of a child's father, or anyone's self-destruction. It is just too sad, even when their possible crime was so bad.

When the story about Ted Haggard broke, I probably rushed to thoughts of hypocrisy and how the mighty have fallen, even though I was not familiar with him or his organization. I was probably also quick to assume that in all likelihood the accusations were true and his protestations hollow. However, I have a hard time buying his explanation for the meth purchase as mere curiosity (but who am I to assume how someone else's mind works). As the story progresses, it seems that there is some truth there and the remainder of it will eventually come out. However, as I step back a bit from my initial joy that this may help to tip the balance of the current political structure, I actually feel bad for this man and his family.

If the accusations are f alse, then this man and his family are enduring something very difficult. To have one’s character and integrity attacked and diminished for political gain is abhorrent. No matter how innocent a person maybe, the way that others view them is irrevocably changed. It is unavoidable.

If the accusations of his sexuality are true, then I still feel bad for him. It would have to be a very difficult and stressful life to straddle dealing with the way he is supposed to view the world and feel and the way that he actually does view the world and feel. There has to be a great deal of internal conflict. I suppose that this and many other issues could have been or could be avoided if we lived in a world where people felt safe to be who they are without fear and that we were all free to openly love regardless of whether that love is heterosexual or homosexual.

I truly hope that whatever turns out to be the truth, he and his family are able to weather the storm and that their fami ly is not shattered into a million little pieces. I also hope that everyone involved, from those involved intimately to those tangentially involved as member of the world tribe find peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home