Monday, February 19, 2007

Half Life


The first thing that came to my mind when I typed in the title Half Life was the concept of the exponential decay of radioactive material. Fortunately, I was not thinking of myself in terms of uranium. If that was the case then I might have to watch my back for Sting (see previous post).

What I was actually thinking is that sometimes my life feels like it has been cleaved in half and not put back together so well. Rather than the perfect dichotomy of the yin yang symbol of Chinese philosophy, my symbol would be more like two mismatched plates shattered and half of each hastily glued back together into some rough, ill-fitting mosaic.

There always seems to be some juxtaposition between the elements of my life. When I was in school, the word juxtaposition was frequently used during design studio critiques. It always referred to the placement of two dissimilar architectural elements in close proximity so as to highlight the differences between the two. I feel that way about my life.

Rather than highlighting the opposing parts of my life, I wish that it was more like the yin yang symbol. Each half working to balance the other out

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home